Music is a highly valued and extensive part of the PLC Sydney Junior School.
Students learn about music by absorbing and experiencing it (hearing and performing) and then analysing it (reading and writing). Lessons are taught using the best strategies from the Kodaly and Orff methods. Our staff are highly skilled in providing imaginative and creative lessons.
- Pre - Kindergarten: Singing, moving, dancing and teacher performed Song Tales
- Kindergarten: Singing, moving and learning the violin.
- Year 1: Intensive instruction on the violin, singing and moving.
- Year 2: Activities include aural work using singing, song games, class instruments and reading and writing music.
- Year 3: Lessons focus on singing, song games, reading music and playing the ukelele.
- Years 4 and 5: Instruments of the Concert Band are taught to all Year 4 and 5 students. In Year 4 specialised tutors are brought in during Term 1 to help girls make a start on their chosen instrument.
- Year 6: All Year 6 girls have structured lessons in Performing Arts rotating through each of these Performing Arts areas. Dance, Drama, Music and Storytelling. A class Musical is presented at the end of Term 4.
All girls are given opportunities to join an ensemble in either strings, choirs or bands when they have acquired a satisfactory standard.
Several smaller ensembles also exist for keen students. All groups have opportunities to perform in school assemblies, for the PLC community, in festivals and in competitions.
Girls are chosen from within Co-curricular ensembles for extension in Chamber music groups.
An Infants Christmas Concert is produced in Term 4, together with a Year 6 production at the end of the year.
For more information on Classroom Music, please contact:
Mrs Casey Allen
Head of Classroom Music PK - 12
Coordinator of Choirs
T: (+612) 9704 5765
To find out more about our full range of co-curricular performance programs, please view the list on the left hand side of the page.