Year 7 Music Scholarships
Applications for Year 7 ACER Music Scholarships, for entry in 2022, are now CLOSED
The Year 7 Music Scholarship for entry in 2022 is open to new and current PLC Sydney students.
Please note: Scholarships are open to Australian Permanent Residents only.
The PLC Sydney Music scholarships are awarded to outstanding musicians who distinguish themselves during the ACER examination. Candidates are required to audition.
This scholarship entitles the holder to the remission of tuition fees only (part or full) for six years from Years 7-12. Scholarships do not cover textbooks, uniforms, excursions, technology fees, individual subject fees or boarding fees.
Applicants must register to sit the ACER examination on Saturday 20 February 2021.
Applicants selected for an audition and interview will be contacted during Term 1 2021.
If a scholarship is offered, written acceptance of the scholarship must be accompanied by a completed PLC Sydney Enrolment Agreement, along with payment of the non-refundable registration fee of $440 and the non-refundable PLC Sydney Enrolment Fee of $3 175 (for external applicants only).
Once scholarships have been awarded all applicants will be notified.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
To be eligible, high passes in AMEB or equivalent are required in one of the following instruments:
- Strings - Violin Grade VI, Viola or Cello Grade V, Double Bass Grade III
- Brass/Woodwind - 1 or 2 years prior school tuition in Bassoon, Oboe, French Horn or Tuba, Grade II or III
- All other Brass/Woodwind instruments - Grade IV
Please note: applicants will not be considered for Piano, Harp and Voice as first instruments.
PLC Sydney Music scholars are assessed continuously throughout the year and are expected to participate fully in the Music program offered at PLC Sydney.
Students who gain a scholarship are required to:
- Participate in the full music program offered at PLC Sydney.
- Participate in at least two ensembles at the College and to commit to all required performances for these ensembles throughout the year.
- Mentor other students and show leadership and initiative.
- Fully participate in the Elective Music Program from Years 9-12.
- Music Scholars are also required to perform regularly, both solo and ensemble, in concerts out of school hours.
- Selected scholars may be invited to join a Chamber Music Ensemble.
- Wednesday 10 February 2021 - ACER online registrations close
- Wednesday 10 February 2021 at midnight - PLC Sydney Online Application with supporting documentation close
- Week commencing 15 February 2021 - applicants will be sent an email confirming the details for the test day. Please ensure the email address firstname.lastname@example.org is marked in your email as a safe sender
- Saturday 20 February 2021 - Sit ACER Scholarship Examinations
- During Term 1 2021 - Shortlisted candidates are contacted for audition times and dates
- End Term 1 2021- Shortlisted candidates are contacted for interview times and dates
HOW TO APPLY
- Applicants must complete the PLC Sydney Scholarship application form (both academic and music forms) and attach the applicant’s most recent School Report, Year 3 NAPLAN results, Birth Certificate/Australian residency documents and any other documents that support her music and academic achievements
- Complete the ACER online registration for PLC Sydney
- Sit the ACER Scholarship Examination on Saturday 20 February 2021.
Please ensure you submit both the PLC Sydney Scholarship application form and the ACER online registration when applying.
Year 7 Music Scholarships are now closed
Click here for ACER scholarship registrations
For more information about ACER scholarship examinations, please visit the ACER website.
Only shortlisted candidates are required to audition. Students are required to:
- Perform two contrasting pieces on their chosen instrument. If a candidate is able to perform on a second instrument, they may be requested to play one extra piece on the second instrument. Voice may be used as a second instrument.
- Sight read music on chosen instrument.
- Sing a small folk song or short song unaccompanied.
If an accompanist is required for your performance, you may use the College’s accompanist or organise your own.
The College accompanist can be booked by calling +612 9704 5651and there is a $20 fee which includes a rehearsal and the audition. Music must be emailed to Ms Jodi McCarthy email@example.com as soon as the Accompanist is booked.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19
PLC Sydney follows the COVID-19 guidelines provided by NSW Health. We will provide specific information about the arrangements for the test day in the confirmation email that will be sent to applicants in the week commencing 15 February 2021. Please ensure the email address firstname.lastname@example.org is marked in your email as a safe sender.
For more information regarding the Year 7 Music Scholarship please contact:
Ms Stephanie Cannon