Year 7 Music Scholarships
THE YEAR 7 Acer music SCHOLARSHIP for 2018 is now CLOSED
Year 7 Music Scholarship for entry in 2018 is open to new and current PLC Sydney students.
The PLC Sydney Music scholarships are awarded to outstanding musicians who distinguish themselves during the ACER examination. Candidates are required to audition.
This scholarship entitles the holder to the remission of tuition fees only (part or full) for six years – from Year 7 to 12. Scholarships do not cover textbooks, uniforms, excursions, technology fees, individual subject fees or boarding fees.
Applicants must register to sit the ACER Cooperative Scholarship Testing Program (CSTP) examination on Saturday 25 February 2017.
Applicants who register with more than one CSTP school must indicate their school preferences. PLC Sydney will take account of these preferences when reviewing results and awarding scholarships. Applicants selected for an audition and interview will be contacted during Term 1, 2017.
If a scholarship is offered, written acceptance of the scholarship must be accompanied by a completed PLC Sydney Confirmation of Enrolment Form, along with payment of the non-refundable registration fee of $440 and the non-refundable PLC Sydney Enrolment Fee of $3,175.
Once scholarships have been awarded all applicants will be notified. For more information about ACER scholarship tests please visit the ACER website.
For more information about ACER scholarship examinations, please visit the ACER website.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
To be eligible, high passes in AMEB or equivalent are required in one of the following instruments:
- Strings: Violin Grade VI, Viola or Cello Grade V, Double Bass Grade III
- Brass/Woodwind: 1 or 2 years prior school tuition in Bassoon, Oboe, French Horn or Tuba, Grade II or III
- All other Brass/Woodwind instruments: Grade III
Please note that applicants will NOT be considered for Piano, Harp and Voice as first instruments.
PLC Sydney Music scholars are assessed continuously throughout the year and are expected to participate fully in the Music program offered at PLC Sydney.
Students who gain a scholarship are expected to:
- Participate in the full music program offered at PLC Sydney
- Participate in at least two ensembles at the College and to commit to all required performances for these ensembles throughout the year
- Mentor other students and show leadership and initiative
- Fully participate in the Elective Music Program from Year 9 to Year 12
- Music Scholars are also required to perform regularly, both solo and ensemble, in concerts out of school hours.
- Selected scholars may be invited to join a Chamber Music Ensemble.
- Monday 6 February 2017: ACER online registrations close
- Monday 6 February 2017 at midnight: PLC Sydney Online Application with supporting documentation close
- Saturday 25 February 2017: Sit ACER Scholarship (CSTP) Examinations
- During Term 1, 2017: Shortlisted candidates are contacted for audition times and dates
- End Term 1, 2017: Shortlisted candidates are contacted for interview times and dates
HOW TO APPLY
- Applicants must complete the PLC Sydney Scholarship Application Form (both academic and music forms) and attach the applicant’s most recent School Report, Year 5 NAPLAN Results and any other supporting documentation.
- Complete the ACER online registration for PLC Sydney
- Sit the ACER Cooperative Scholarship Testing Program (CSTP) Examination on Saturday 25 February 2017.
Please ensure you submit both the PLC SYDNEY SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION and the ACER ONLINE REGISTRATION when applying.
To complete your ACER scholarship registration, please click here.
Only shortlisted candidates are required to audition. Students are required to:
- Perform two contrasting pieces on their chosen instrument. If a candidate is able to perform on a second instrument, they may be requested to play one extra piece on the second instrument. Voice may be used as a second instrument.
- Answer questions based on aural tests at instrument level
- Sight read music on chosen instrument
- Sing a small folk song or short song unaccompanied
If an accompanist is required for your performance, you may use the College’s accompanist or organise your own. The College accompanist can be booked by calling +61 2 9704 5651 and there is a $20 fee, which includes a rehearsal and the audition. Music must be emailed as soon as the Accompanist is booked.
Email: Ms Jodi McCarthy
For more information regarding ACER and the Year 7 Music Scholarships please contact
Ms Stephanie Cannon on (+612) 9704 5674