2020 HSC Highlights
- 49% of PLC Sydney students were in the top 10% of the State.
- 8% of PLC Sydney students (12 students) were in the top 1% of the State
- Our highest ATAR was 99.75
- PLC Sydney ranked 22nd in the State* (SMH ranking 20th in 2019 and 17th in 2018)
- 11 students were named in the Top Achievers List (i.e. they earned top 20 places in individual subjects)
- 17 students were named in the All-rounder Achievers List (i.e. scored over 90% in every subject)
*21st in the State if we include Jennivine Chen (please see Cambridge A Levels below for explanation)
Click here to download our 2020 HSC Achievements & Highlights bookletwith full coverage of all our results
PLC Sydney's HSC Highlights for 2020 include:
Congratulations to Abbey Kumar who achieved our highest ATAR of 99.75.
Furthermore, the following students achieved ATARs over 99.0 (top 1% of the State): Gwendalyn Dabaja, Stephanie Howes, Olivia Lam, Helena Law, Linda Liu, Amanda Lu, Caitlyn Wong and Yingyi (Emily) Zhao.
These are exceptional result and extremely well-deserved.
TOP ACHIEVERS IN COURSE LIST
The following eleven (11) students gained places in the Top Achievers in Course List in 2020 (placing in the top 20 students in the State in their different subjects):
- Yianna Nikos (Textiles and Design) - 1st in the State
- Sophie Angus (Design and Technology) - 4th
- Jessica Cheng (Design and Technology) - 6th
- Gwendalyn Dabaja (English Extension 2) - 6th
- Yanna Gralton (Chinese Extension) - 3rd
- Stephanie Howes (Mathematics Advanced) - 19th
- Stephanie Howes (Latin Extension) - 3rd
- Abbey Kumar (French Extension) - 5th
- Haley Mills ( Japanese Continuers) - 2nd
- Amelia Rader (Food Technology) - 4th
- Yingyi (Emily) Zhao (English EAL/D) - 4th
Please note an additional two (2) students achieved top 20 places:
- Jacqueline Koutsoubos (Modern Greek Beginners at NSW School of Languages) - 1st in the State
- Nina Power (German Beginner at NSW School of Languages) - 4th
ALL-ROUND ACHIEVERS LIST
- Seventeen (17) students were recognised on the All-round Achievers List (achieving more than 90% in all their courses ie the highest band possible in at least 10 units)
Congratulations go to: Sophie Angus, Gwendalyn Dabaja, Ariana Galanos, Iris Gou, Yanna Gralton, Stephanie Howes, Abbey Kumar, Olivia Lam, Helena Law, Ruo Yin Linda Liu, Amanda Lu, Miriam Ly, Linda Wang, Caitlyn Wong, Keyi Zhang, Catherine Zhao, Yingyi (Emily) Zhao.
CAMBRIDGE a levelS
One student (1): Jennevine Chen achieved three A Levels A* A* A in her Cambridge A Level Exams for Economics, Mathematics and Computer Science (equivalent of 99.9+) and gained full access to all Oxford University programs. Jennevine is currently studying Computer Science and Philosophy at Oxford. To read more about Jennivine's story, please click here.
Cambridge International A Levels: A Levels are highly specialised and students normally take three subjects. They are the ‘gold standard’ of Cambridge, and act as entry qualifications for universities around the world. The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall (80%), and who also achieve at least 90% on the uniform mark scale (UMS) across their A2 units.
PLC SYDNEY OUTSTANDING OVERALL RESULTS
- Our school mean, per unit, was 41.3 out of 50 (which means that the average mark received by PLC Sydney students in the HSC was 82.6 out of 100, gained across all courses).
- Band 6 results (marks over 90) or equivalents in Extension courses were achieved in 39.47% of all examinations sat by PLC Sydney students, in all subjects.*(39.9% if Jennivine Chen’s results are included).
We have had a number of students achieving excellence in particular areas.
- 50% of our students achieved a mark over 90 in English EAL/D with three positions in the top 10 in the State
- 27% of our students achieved a mark over 90 in English (Advanced)
- 92% of our students achieved a mark over 80
- In Extension 1 English 67% of students achieved over 90 and 100% achieved a mark over 80
- In Extension 2 English 75% achieved over 90 and 100% achieved a mark over 80.
- 47% of our students achieved a mark over 90 in Mathematics and 77% over 80
- In Extension 1 Mathematics 43% of students achieved over 90
- In Extension 2 Mathematics 45% of students achieved over 90
- 13 students (87%) of our Year 11 Mathematics accelerants achieved excellent Band 6 results in the 2 unit paper
- 8 students (53%) achieved E4 (the top band) in the Extension 1 paper.
- 44% of our students achieved a mark over 90 in Biology and 67% over 80
- 39% of our students achieved a mark over 90 in Chemistry and 92% over 80
- 30% of our students achieved a mark over 90 in Physics and 83% over 80
- 14% of our students achieved a mark over 90 in Earth and Environmental Science and 28% over 80
HSC SHOWCASES AND EXHIBITIONS
- OnSTAGE: Individual Drama Performances Nominated: Louisa Cusumano, Molly Davies and Nina Power.
- YOUNG WRITERS SHOWCASE: Louisa Cusumano's 2020 Extension 2 English Major Work has been shortlisted for publication in the Young Writers Showcase.
- ENCORE: (Music) Nominated for Performance: Lily Dai (cello), Kim Leng (piano) and Catherine Zhao (violin)
- ENCORE: (Music) Nominated for Composition: Lucy Froggatt and Katia Nastasi
- ARTEXPRESS: Nominated Olivia Antoun, Ariana Galanos, Olivia Lam, Helena Law, Ruo Yin Linda Liu, Amelia Rader, Heidi Watkins, Macey Watson and Giselle Wong
- Selected: Ariana Galanos, Amelia Rader, Macey Watson and Giselle Wong
- SHAPE (Formerly DesignTech): Nominated: Sophie Angus, Jessica Cheng, Halle Fisher, Ariana Galanos, Giselle Gurr, Jessica Kim and Yianna Nikos
- TEXSTYLE: Textiles and Design Exhibition: Nominated Halle Fisher, Ariana Galanos, Giselle Gurr, Jessica Kim and Yianna Nikos
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!