PLC Sydney’s outstanding reputation for academic excellence is reflected in the consistently high results that students achieve in the Australian Tertiary Academic Rankings (ATARs)
2014 HSC SUCCESS
- 51.5% of our students achieved an ATAR over 90 (more than half of our students achieved in the top 10% of the state)
- The highest ATAR achieved was 99.85
- Nine students received ATAR scores over 99 (i.e. 7% in the top 1% of the State)
Top Achievers’ List
- Four of our students achieved five of the top places in the Top Achievers List (placing in the top 20 students in the state in five different subjects). Our students placed:
- 2nd in Textiles and Design
- 4th in Textiles and Design
- 4th in PDHPE
- 5th in Chinese Background Speakers
- 12th in Legal Studies
Premier’s All Round Achievers’ List
- 14 students were recognised on the Premier’s All-Round Achievers’ List (achieving more than 90% in all their courses)
PLC Sydney Outstanding Overall Results
- Band 6 results (marks over 90) were achieved in 36% of all examinations, in all subjects
- Our school mean, per unit, was 41.5 out of 50 (an 83% average HSC mark gained across all courses)
- 15 students (72%) of our Year 11 Mathematics accelerants achieved excellent Band 6 results in the 2-unit paper. Seven students (38%) achieved E4 (the top level) in the Ext 1 paper.
HSC Showcases and Exhibitions
ARTEXPRESS: Six PLC Sydney students were acknowledged for their superb HSC Visual Art work by being nominated to have their major works exhibited.
OnSTAGE: 10 PLC Sydney HSC Drama students were nominated to present to their outstanding individual and group performances at the Seymour Centre.
Not only does PLC Sydney enjoy great academic success, but the community also celebrates the College’s excellence in sporting, artistic and cultural endeavours.
Download our 2014 HSC Success flyer here. (PDF 1.7MB)
2013 was a wonderful year of celebration with PLC Sydney commemorating its 125 Year Anniversary. The community celebrated the College’s excellence in academic, sporting and artistic and cultural endeavours, as well as our Presbyterian Foundation.
- 41% of our students achieved an ATAR over 90 and 67% of students gained an ATAR over 80.
- The highest ATAR achieved was 99.95 and nine students received ATAR scores over 99.
- Band 6 results were achieved in 43% of examinations sat by our students.
Premier's All-Round Achievers' List and Distinctions
- Six students from the College were recognised on the Premier’s All-Round Achievers’ List.
- Five PLC Sydney students achieved some of the highest subject scores in the State and were listed in the Top Achievers List for: Chemistry, Legal Studies, Chinese Continuers, Japanese Extension, Latin Extension and Modern History.
- Band 6 results were achieved by 100% of Chinese Continuers students, 34% of English Advanced students, 50% of English Ext 1 students, 50% of French Continuers students, 75% of French Ext students, 56% of History Ext students, 67% of Italian Ext students, 66% of Japanese Ext students, 50% of Latin Ext students, 60% of Legal Studies students, 43% of Modern History students, 75% of Music Ext students, 57% of Textiles and Design students and 54% of Visual Arts students.
- English: Two students will represent Australia at the World Individual Debating and Public Speaking Championship in Lithuania in 2014 and one student was a finalist in the Sydney Morning Herald Plain English Speaking Competition. PLC Sydney has an excellent track record in the AHIGS Festival of Speech, winning this event for 12 of the past 16 years. The College finished 2nd on the other four occasions including 2013.
- Mathematics: PLC Sydney achieved their best ever results in the UNSW and Australian Mathematical Trust Competition. Students collected six of the seventeen statewide prizes on offer. In another first, two of our students qualified for the Australian Mathematical Olympic Summer School.
- Our Year 11 Mathematics accelerants achieved excellent results. 61% achieved Band 6 results in the 2-unit paper and 36% achieved E4 results in the Ext 1 paper (E4 is the highest band for extension courses).
- Science: In the Science Teachers’ Association NSW Competition, PLC Sydney students collected seven of the major prizes on offer. These were received for 1st in Physics (Years 10-12), 2nd in Chemistry (Years 10-12), 3rd in Chemistry (Years 10- 12) and 3rd in Biology (Years 10-12) and a Certificate of Distinction (Years 7-9). A PLC Sydney student also received the Australian Government National Measurement Prize and the Medical Physics Prize.
HSC Showcases, Exhibitions and Humanities
- Students were nominated for excellence in practical subjects: Music (ENCORE); Visual Arts (ARTEXPRESS); Design and Technology (DesignTech); and Textiles and Design (Texstyle).
- Music: The Chamber Choir and the Madrigal Group won the inaugural Australian Choral Grand Prix (Youth 19/u category), the John Lamble Foundation Australasian Championship for Youth Choirs (19/u), the Youth Choir – Female Voices (19/u) and the Youth Chamber Choir (19/u).
- Humanities: A PLC Sydney student won the ASX Schools Sharemarket Competition this year, competing against 32 000 students from around the country.
PLC Sydney fields more than 80 teams in IGSSA Saturday Sport and we celebrate the high level of participation by students in sporting activities. We acknowledge the achievements of all students involved and commend their efforts.
- In the IGSSA Competition PLC Sydney’s results included:
- 1st in Swimming
- 1st in Artistic Gymnastics
- 3rd in Athletics
- 4th in Diving
- 6th in Rowing
- 6th in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- Out of the 2013 competitions our ‘firsts’ finished 1st in Hockey (out of 25 schools), 5th in Tennis (out of 23 schools) and 6th in Football (out of 20 schools)
- Our Intermediate Athletics Knockout Team came 2nd in NSW