On a beautiful February morning at Centenary Park in Croydon, all Years 7–10 students, along with a selection of Years 11 and 12, competed in the annual PLC Sydney House Cross Country.
This year, the course reflected that of a more traditional Cross Country with sand hills making sections of the run a great challenge.
Congratulations to all who participated. The following students completed the three-lap-course (for their respective age groups) with the fastest times:
- 12 Years - Eden Kautz (Year 7)
- 13 Years - Yasmine Sulyok (Year 8)
- 14 Years - Emily Moloney (Year 8)
- 15 Years - Hannah Moloney (Year 10)
- 16 Years - Lilli Harris (Year 11)
- 17 Years - Hannah Humphrey (Year 12)
- 18 Years - Isabella Jobling (Year 12)
The fastest time of the day was Hannah Moloney (Year 10) who completed the course in six minutes and five seconds.
Gymnastics NSW Coach of the Year
Congratulations to Lisa Milani, who has been named 2016 Aerobic Gymnastics Coach of the Year.
At the 2016 Gymnastics NSW Awards, held Saturday 4 February 2017 at Rosehill Garden, Lisa Milani, PLC Sydney's Sports Aerobics Coordinator and Gymnastics Coach, was recognised for her dedication after a competitive and highly successful year for PLC Sydney Gymnasts.
Image: Lisa Milani with her 2016 Aerobic Gymnastics Coach of the Year award.
Congratulations to Jennifer Turner (Year 11), Amy Doust (Year 12) and Tyra Olsson (Year 12) who passed their Intermediate Gymnastics Coaches course on Sunday 12 February 2017. We look forward to seeing them coaching on the floor.
The 2017 NSW Rowing Championships were held at the Sydney International Regatta Centre Saturday 11 February. PLC Sydney had 13 students entered but unfortunately, due to the extreme heat, several of our events were cancelled (Schoolgirl Coxed Quad Scull and Women’s U17 Double Scull - our Year 10 #1 Quad Rowers). Our Para Rowers were able to race all their events with some remarkable achievements. Highlights of the day are as follows:
- Lauren Webber (Year 11) - 2nd in Championship Women’s Para Single
- Bronte Marshall (Year 12) - 3rd in Championship Women’s Para Single
We also entered two Para Double Sculls, the first time our students have raced this event. Our crews placed 5th and 6th which was a great effort. Thank you to Jacqueline Divis, our Year 10 cox, who eagerly jumped in a double with Ishani Roy (Year 12) to compete in this event.
Congratulations to all who were able to compete.
Congratulations to our Snowsports athletes, Phoebe Cridland (Year 10), Emma Bosco (Year 9) and Clare Bosco (Year 7), for a successful season on the slopes of Northern America.
Phoebe, as a member of the Australian Junior Cross Country Ski Team, attended the Australian Development Tour in Canmore, Canada for a month from 26 December 2016. She competed in the Haywood NorAm Western Races in Callaghan Valley (Whistler), where she came 17th (the 2nd Australian) in the 1 km Freestyle Sprint qualifiers in the Juvenile Girls, making it through to the quarter finals. Phoebe then placed 9th (the 1st Australian) in the 7.5 km Classic Race in the Juvenile Girls (Under 16s). A great result. Phoebe was also in an international relay team (3 x 5 km Freestyle) and placed 7th.
Emma competed in the Canadian Selections (an Open event that includes the top Canadian mogul skiers from across the country) where she placed 24th. At the Canada Cup (a National Open event) she came 15th. She then competed in the Dual Moguls (a national Open event) qualifying in 7th place and finishing 13th. Emma rounded off her season with an impressive 3rd place in the Timber Tour (an U16s British Columbia State Level event). However, her biggest achievement of the season, and probably her career, was completing her first ever back-tuck in the snow!
Clare also competed at the Timber Tour (an U14s British Columbia State Level event) where she took out 2nd place.
Congratulations on a great season girls!
Video: Emma Bosco (Year 9) completing her first ever back-tuck in the snow.
Image: Phoebe Cridland (Year 10).
SWIMMING AND DIVING
Diving NSW Interclub Competition
Congratulations to our PLC Sydney Divers for a successful weekend at the Diving NSW Interclub Competition held at Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre, Sunday 12 February 2017. Key results of the day were:
- School Pathways Level 3
- Naomi Webb (Year 4) 2nd
- Rose Tan (Year 3) 3rd
- School Pathways Level 4
- Chloe Chau (Year 8) 1st
- Skye Rodgers (Year 8) 5th
- School Pathways Level 5
- Gabrielle O'Dea (Year 7) 1st
- Under 11 Years
- Emily Webb (Year 6) 1st
- Amy Somboli (Year 4) 4th
- 14-15 Years
- Marie-Antoinette Montuoro (Year 8) 4th, qualifying for the National Championships in April!
PLC Sydney Swimming and Diving Carnival 2017
On Tuesday 7 February 2017, PLC Sydney Senior School ascended on Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre with students adorned in their house colours.
In the Swimming, the pool was ablaze with numerous records broken and fantastic times set. Great preparation in the lead up to the IGSSA Carnival where we will be defending our title. Congratulations to all on a fabulous day! Keep an eye on our facebook page for more photos of the Carnival.
Key results of the day were:
- Multi Class Champion
- 1st - Bronte Marshall (Year 12)
- 2nd - Lily Crawford (Year 12)
- =3rd - Lauren Webber (Year 11) and Rose Tunstall (Year 10)
- Junior Swimming Champion
- 1st - Donna Choi (Year 8)
- =2nd - Anna Lee and Emily Yoon (Year 8)
- Intermediate Swimming Champion
- 1st - Mariah Moshovis (Year 10)
- 2nd - Samarah Melia (Year 10)
- =3rd - Lilli Harris (Year 11) and Bianca Traplin (Year 10)
- Senior Swimming Champion
- 1st - Lauren Mc Dougall (Year 11)
- 2nd - Chloe Yoo (Year 12)
- 3rd - Sarah Kemp (Year 12)
- House Points (Swimming)
- 1st - Anderson
- 2nd - Ferguson
- 3rd - Harper
The Diving Pool saw a record participation of over 60 divers, which was wonderful to see. Key results of the day were:
- Senior School Diving Champion
- 1st - Tyra Olsson (Year 12)
- 2nd - Marie-Antoinette Montuoro (Year 8)
- 3rd - Paige Banducci (Year 9)
- House Points (Diving)
- 1st - Kinross
- 2nd - Pickard
- 3rd - Anderson
IGSSA Swimming and Diving Carnival 2017
Congratulations to the following students who have been selected to represent PLC Sydney at the 2017 IGSSA Swimming and Diving Carnival on Thursday 9 March:
- Year 7 - Rhiane Fotaras, Paige Jones, Tara Jones, Anna Lee, Victoria McLeod, Yasmine Sulyok and Emily Yoon
- Year 8 - Donna Choi, Sarah Clifton-Bligh, Madeleine Hardy, Jasmine Higgs, Alex McDougall and Sophie Yee
- Year 9 - Jasmine Tran and Heidi Watkins
- Year 10 - Rejheki Bone, Samarah Melia, Mariah Moshovis, Bianca Traplin and Sarah Waugh
- Year 11 - Lilli Harris, Laurel Lu, Lauren McDougall, Karli Musarra, Sherie Pan and Lauren Webber
- Year 12 - Cindy Chen, Lily Crawford, Isabella Jobling, Bridie Hallion, Sarah Kemp, Bronte Marshall, Megan McConnell, Georgina Ryan and Chloe Yoo
The team will be captained by Chloe Yoo, managed by Karen Stephenson and coached by Pancha Thambo and Frank Preston.
Hamilton Swimming Carnival
Hamilton students thoroughly enjoyed themselves, with a great display of skill in the water, at the 2017 Junior School Swimming Carnival. On Friday 10 February, Ashfield Pool was buzzing as students cheered and supported each other despite the extreme heat. All students are to be commended for their efforts. Thank you to staff and parents who assisted with the running of the carnival. Congratulations to the winning house Pickard and the following age champions:
- 9 Years - Isabelle Whitford (1st), Stephanie Chew (2nd), Ella Jewell (3rd)
- 10 Years - Stella Koulos (1st), Jessica Ferreira- Alves (2nd), Ellie Kwan (3rd)
- 11 Years - Mia Fildissis (1st), Caitlin Oeser (2nd), Archiraya Stokes (3rd)
- 12 Years - Tidarat McLachlan (1st), Kassandra Kirikau (2nd), Sophie Higgs (3rd)
- Junior Champion - Stella Koulos
- Senior Champion - Tidarat McLachlan
The PLC Sydney swim team will compete at the 2017 IPSHA Swimming Carnival, Tuesday 7 March, and we all wish them all the best.
PLC Sydney Championships
Congratulations to our tennis players who competed in the annual PLC Sydney Tennis Championships held at Cintra Park on Saturday 4 February 2017. Highlights of the day are as follows:
- Ella Athanassiou (Year 10) - won the singles
- Lara Ralph (Year 10) - runner-up in the singles
- Brianna Neowhouse (Year 10) and Tegan Neowhouse (Year 10) - won the doubles
- Alexandra Caddy (Year 10) and Zoe Jewell (Year 8) - runners-up in the doubles
Photo: Lara Ralph (Year 10) and Ella Athanassiou (Year 10)
IPSHA Representative Tennis Trials
Congratulations to Luca Mackinnon and Olivia Sader (Year 6) who represented PLC Sydney at the IPSHA Representative Tennis Trials, held at MLC School on Wednesday 8 February 2017. Both students played well with Luca making it through to the playoffs where she went down in a tough match.