PLC Sydney Foundation Meeting – 8 November 2017
📸 Photos from the Service Learning Tour to Vietnam.
Allocations from the Foundation’s Education Trust continue to support worthwhile school initiatives and the recent meeting was delighted to approve allocations for an impressive range of submissions over the next 12 months. Prior to the meeting, sub-committee members and the Board welcomed five excellent student presentations. Some involved reports from recent initiatives as well as requests for future funding. Once the presenters departed and their requests were considered, all were favourably approved:
- Service Learning Tour to Vietnam – Eliza Otton and Zara Khan (Year 11) spoke on the tour in April 2017 (Foundation support of $15 000). An allocation request for the tour in April 2018 was also addressed by Ms Isabel Hayek, Coordinator of the Vietnam SLT. At the meeting, the Foundation approved an allocation of $15 000 towards next year’s tour.
- World Public Speaking and Debating Championships – Cape Town, April 2018 There was a presentation by Eleanor Lawton-Wade, Lina Cho, Sherie Pan and Lauren McGrath-Wild (Year 11) on their recent success at the 2017 Australian National Titles where they qualified for the World Championships in Cape Town in 2018. An allocation request in support of the championships in Cape Town was addressed by Mrs Lynette Hawkey, Head of Speech, External Public Speaking. The Foundation approved an allocation of $8000.
- National Mathematics Summer School – Canberra, January 2018 Jasmine Chen (Year 11) addressed her request for funding assistance to attend the 2018 summer School. The Foundation approved an allocation of $1 100.
- National Youth Science Forum – Canberra, January 2018 Salina Ai, Sabena Bhadri, Eleanor Lawton-Wade, Laurel Lu, Claudia McDonnell, Lucy Mo, Sherie Pan and Jennifer Xu (Year 11) addressed their request for funding assistance to attend the forum. The Foundation approved an allocation of $4 800.
- Australian Informatics Olympiad Committee (AIOC) Informatics School of Excellence – Canberra, December 2017 Angeni Bai (Year 10) addressed her request for funding assistance to attend the forthcoming Informatics School of Excellence. The Foundation approved an allocation of $1 350.
A further four allocation requests that are considered annually were also before the meeting and, once again, they were all favourably approved:
- 2018 Foundation Bursaries/Scholarships – $140 000
- 2018 International Student Exchange Program – Up to $80 000 (determined by the number of students selected)
- 2018 PLC Sydney Annual Student Photographic Prize – $500
- 2018 Foundation Speech Day Prizes (Business Studies and Global Citizenship) – $150 ($75 per prize)
To access the presentations from our November 2017 meeting and to learn more about the valuable work of the Foundation, please click here.