Congratulations to the PLC Sydney Senior Firsts Basketball Team, captained by Katherine Foudy (Year 12), who won their division on the weekend in a very close and thrilling game against Frensham.
PLC Sydney also had three other teams competing in the IGSSA finals. The Junior Bs (PLS 8) took victory in the final minute of overtime after Jasmine Wiesner (Year 8), controlled her nerves and made it count when given two free shots to break the deadlock. PLS3 and PLS10 were unlucky to go down in close games after such an exciting season.
Above: Juniors Bs; Senior Firsts.
Hamilton Athletics Carnival
On a lovely winter’s day all girls from Hamilton competed at the 2015 Athletics Carnival. Some outstanding performances were produced and congratulations go to the following students who achieved a new record:
- Bronte Prentice (Year 5) 10 years and under Discus
- Ella Garnett (Year 5) 11 years 200m
- Valentina Quiroga (Year 6) Open Turbo Javelin.
The following girls showed outstanding overall athletic performances and were awarded age champions.
- 9 Years and Under – Sofie Maxwell (Year 3) 1st, Xanthia Coote (Year 3) 2nd, Emily Webb (Year 3) 3rd
- 10 Years – Alexis Forsell (Year 5) 1st, Bronte Prentice (Year 5) 2nd, Abby Alleyn (Year 4) 3rd
- 11 Years – Emelia Musto (Year 6) 1st, Ella Garnett (Year 5) 2nd, Kaitlyn Halkidis (Year 5) 3rd
- 12 Years – Monique Saad (Year 6) 1st, Annalise Giezekamp (Year 6) 2nd, Lauren Flint (Year 6) 3rd.
- Junior Championship – Alexis Forsell (Year 5) 1st, Bronte Prentice (Year 5) 2nd, Abby Alleyn (Year 4) 3rd
- Senior Championship – Monique Saad (Year 6) 1st, Annalise Giezekamp (Year 6) 2nd, Lauren Flint (Year 6) 3rd.
The annual Sydney Badminton Association (SBA) Tournament was held on Saturday 13 June at the Homebush. PLC Sydney entered a team into both the Senior and Junior Divisions. Our senior team came across some strong opposition to be just tipped out of a medal position. The junior team, comprised of Years 7 and 8 girls, took home the Bronze medal for their efforts. The competition is a great experience for our very keen Badminton girls and offers them a chance to play a variety of school teams and observe some very skilled Open Division players, from outside the independent school arena.
PLC Sydney competes in the Balmoral Burn
Four students combined to compete in the 2015 Balmoral Burn. This event consists of a 420m run up the tough Awaba Street hill in Mosman. PLC Sydney has been victorious at this event in 2008 and 2009, with our performance from 2009 creating the event record which was then broken by Abbotsleigh School in 2013. After a very high standard of training in recent months and some great performances at the Senior School Athletics Carnival, expectations were high for the 2015 edition of this fabulous event which raises money for the Humpty Dumpty Foundation.
The PLC Sydney team comprising Haley Mills (Year 7), Heidi Watkins (Year 7), Anna Dowling (Year 7) and Lara Ralph (Year 8), combined to finish in ninth place from amongst more than 40 teams.
NSW CIS Cross Country Championship
Congratulations to six PLC Sydney students who performed exceptionally well at the NSW CIS Cross Country Championships on 11 June 11 at Eastern Creek Raceway. The girls have since qualified for the NSW All Schools Championships on Friday 17 July.
CIS Qualifiers into NSW All Schools Cross Country:
- 12 Years – Haley Mills (Year 7) 4th, Heidi Watkins (Year 7) 5th and Margaret O’Reilly (Year 7) 7th.
- 13 Years – Hannah Moloney (Year 8) 2nd
- 14 Years – Taylor Porter (Year 8) 4th
- 18 Years – Edwina Hobson (Year 12) 7th.
PLC Sydney was also crowned CIS Cross Country Champions in the 12 years event thanks to the efforts of Year 7 students Haley Mills, Heidi Watkins, Margaret O’Reilly and Abbey Kumar.
Year 12 students Kaitlin Nobbs and Jess Stewart played in the NSWCIS Open Girls Hockey team at the All Schools Championships on Monday 15 June. In response to their outstanding contribution to the representative team, both girls were named in the 2-15 NSW All Schools Merit Team.