Technical Services @ PLC SYDNEY
There is a rich and embedded use of technology at PLC Sydney from Kindergarten through to Year 12.
Digital Literacies (DL) are cross-faculty and increasingly important in our student’s social and leisure life. Students are taught DL at PLC Sydney, both explicitly and implicitly, via integrated components of most faculty's content.
pre-kindergarten to Year 4
Students have access to a teacher determined mixture of iPads, Chromebooks, and the Computer lab.
Years 5 and 6
Students are required to bring and use a family supplied iPad, either full size or iPad-mini.
Accounts should be controlled and owned by parents and be financed via iTunes card. There should be NO associated credit card.
- Minimum - iPad Air 32GB (or larger) Wi-Fi only (at least V3 onward)
- Headphones (ear bud style) for classroom use
- A very sturdy case – personal choice of design permitted
- Insurance against accidental damage / loss / theft (available at iBroker insurance – not affiliated in any way with the College)
Years 7 to 9
College provided laptop. The applications, warranty, insurance and support are all managed by the Technical Services department.
Years 10 to 12
BYOD laptop, tablet or PLC Sydney device.
- That the device weigh less than 2.0kg
- Have a powerful processor (e.g. Intel i5) and at least 4GB RAM (8GB is better)
- Be less than 1 years old and in good working order
- Have at least 128GB storage (recommended 256GB+)
- Be purchased with accidental damage / theft insurance. For example via iBroker insurance (not affiliated in any way with the College)
- Have a long warranty. Note: most consumer equipment only comes with a one year return to store warranty
- Be stored and carried in a padded sleeve or bag
- Be running the latest OS (Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or OS X El Capitan)
- If a tablet, have a full sized keyboard
- Have a battery life of a whole school day (bus to bus)
There are requirements for connection to the College network. These must be met before connection is permitted