Swimming Carnival 2015
PLC Sydney Year 7 to 12 Swimming & Diving Carnival 2015
- Date: Thursday, 5 February 2015
- Time: 8.30 am - 2.40 pm
- Venue: Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre, Homebush
- Trains run to Olympic Park station every 10 minutes from Lidcombe station. Buses are also available from Strathfield and Lidcombe stations.
- Students in Years 7 – 12 are required to be at Homebush by 8.30 am.
- Bus from School: The Transition Class and Boarders will be transported to and from the venue by bus from school.
- Any other student in Years 7 to 12 who requires transport to and/or from Homebush should go online and complete the online sign up form:
- Enable – “Year 7-12 Swimming Carnival Transportation 2015”
- Click on the link and complete the sign up process.
- Should you sign up for transport TO the Carnival, please assemble in Thompson Hall at 8.15 am.
- Buses will depart FROM the Aquatic Centre at the end of the Carnival at approximately 2.40 pm.
- ALL students are required to find their House Patron at the entry of the Aquatic Centre and have their name marked off. Roll marking will commence at 8.20 am.
- Girls must have their name marked off by 8.45 am.
- If you are in the first swimming event, or require pre-carnival warm-up, please be sure you are on the first group of buses leaving school.
- There will also be an afternoon roll call before any student may leave.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Drinks (water, fruit drinks)
- House colour swim cap
- Warm jumper and long pants
- Lunch and snacks
- Your SWIMMING CODE : you are required to write your swimming code on your hand with a marker supplied by the House Patron outside of SOPAC upon arrival.
Codes will also be displayed outside the Senior School Staffroom for you to record on Tuesday.
WHAT TO WEAR:
- House colours and appropriate footwear. All girls are expected to wear their house colour caps and encouraged to wear PLC Sydney swimwear. No bikinis are permitted.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU GET THERE:
- You will need to be at the Aquatic Centre by 8.30 am. If you are in one of the first swimming events (see program on sports notice board) or require suitable warm-up, make sure you arrive early.
- Be sure to have written your swimming code on your hand before Marshalling commences.
- The first call for events will be at 8.45 am and competition will commence at 9.00 am sharp. We will not wait for late comers.
- The western concourse Cafeteria (behind the spectators’ grandstand) will be open exclusively for PLC Sydney students. No students should use any other food outlets within the centre.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU’RE NOT COMPETING:
- It is very important you remain in the stands in your house area when you are not competing as it will make it easier for you to be found if necessary. Spectators are not permitted to cheer from poolside. If you have completed your events and you are looking for something to do, please volunteer your services. We can always do with more helpers!
MARSHALLING OF EVENTS:
- All swimmers must listen attentively to the announcer who will call each event being marshalled. All 50m stroke events are SIGN UP ON THE DAY. The 100m Freestyle event has a qualification time, must be submitted to Mrs Lee Capes by the end of school on Monday 2 February. The top 10 fastest ‘official’ times will compete on the day. When the event you want to compete in has been called to the marshalling area, please move as quickly as you can. House relays will be signed up prior to the Carnival during House meetings. House patrons will assist relay swimmers prior to races.
NB: Whilst you are all there to have fun, you are reminded to compete in the correct nature of the Carnival and do your best for your House.
FINISHING YOUR RACE:
- When you have touched the touchpad at end of your race, stay in your lane and wait for instructions from the Head Timekeeper. You will be required to exit the pool by swimming under the lane ropes and getting out at the stairs.
- The place judge will hand the first 3 placed swimmers a card. He/she will then direct you to the presentation table where it is important you have your name, place and time recorded. You will also be presented with a ribbon on the medal dais.
The Billy Mac Dash - Championship 50m.
- The 2015 Invitational 50m freestyle will be scheduled as the first race after lunch.
- The fastest 10 students from all year groups will be selected from the carnival results.
- There will be a lost property box outside the recording/announcer’s room. Anything found during the day will be brought to the box at the end of the day. If it is not claimed, it will be taken back to school and placed in the school lost property area in the box outside the sports storeroom.