Section Menu

Building Developments

YEAR

DEVELOPMENT

1869

Shubra Hall built.

1875

Croydon railway station opened; called Five Dock initially but changed to Croydon in August 1876.

1888

PLC opened at Fernlea, corner of Victoria and Robert Streets, Ashfield.

1889

PLC purchased Shubra Hall for £7,500.

1890

The Building Committee of the College appointed a committee to arrange for the removal and re-erection of the Studio. The Studio was at Fernlea in Ashfield and was used at Croydon until it was demolished to build the gymnasium (opened 1938).

1890

Dining Room, Boarding House and Assembly Hall (now known as College Hall) was built.

1891

March: PLC opened at Croydon but the Earl of Jersey and Countess of Jersey.

1892

Laundry constructed behind the Stables.

1901

Organ installed in College Hall.

1904

The West Wing with dormitories above for boarding added.

1906-1907

Rugby House (Red House) purchased; became Principal’s residence in 1916 (taken over by RAAF in WWII, then used for boarders until it was demolished in 1963).

1907

The Meta Street house, with land for two tennis courts, was bought.

1927

Marden Memorial Library built, financed by ex-students.

1927

Swimming pool opened; built at cost of £1,200.

1929

The house adjoining the jockey field, in Frederick Street, Ashfield, was purchased by the Parents’ Committee so that more playing space would be available for the girls.

1938

Old gymnasium built, funded by ex-students as their jubilee gift to the college.

1942-1945

RAAF used the College. College transferred to Strathfield, boarders to Meriden, others to “Welbeck” in Margaret Street. At Croydon, the RAAF (primarily) used Shubra Hall, the Dining Room, College Hall, the Boarding House and The Stables. A lean-to at the rear of the Stables was a temporary art hut, The Anderson Room, built as a laundry 1892, converted to a classroom 1955. Other (Nissan) huts erected by the Air Force were used until 1965 for Art and Science.

1946

College reopened at Croydon (official reopening 1947).

1946

Red House was renamed Hamilton House.

1949

Courtyard quadrangle redesigned.

1952

Pickard House was bought; used for 6th class until 1963 and staff quarters, music rooms. Demolished to make way for Thompson Hall (1987), staff rooms, etc.

1958

A three-storey classroom block built; an amenities section added in 1962.

1963

Junior School -- used for upper primary -- built on the site of the earlier Hamilton House (formerly called “Red House“).

1964

Lecture theatre and ground floor Science laboratories built.

1965

Science Block and lecture theatre (ground floor) built.

1971

Upper floors added to Science Block; a Library built over old (1938) gymnasium.

1971

Library constructed above 1938 gymnasium (level 2). This area subsequently became, in 1998, part of the Freda Whitlam School of Science, i.e. the western wing of classrooms that is parallel to Young Street.

1982

Courtyard quadrangle redesigned by ex-student Philippa Street.

1982

128 Edwin Street purchased.

1983

Lowe property, 3 Meta Street, purchased.

1984

First Master Plan for College development inaugurated.

1985

Construction started on E. Neil McQueen Block/Lindley Evans Music Centre/Thompson Hall/staff car park.

1985

Boarding House improvements made, including upgrade of Senior Boarding House Mistress and C corridor, painting of B corridor.

1985

Pickard House demolished.

1986

Meta, Grosvenor and Elizabeth Streets purchased.

1986

Harmsworth, 114 Edwin Street, purchased and restored for Principal's residence.

1986

Storm drainage upgrade to prevent flooding of Junior School/Hamilton Hall.

1986

Major fire regulation upgrade to Boarding House.

1987

Thompson Hall/Lindley Evans Music Centre/E. Neil McQueen Block/Home Science facilities and staffroom block officially opened.

1987

Meta, Elizabeth and Grosvenor Streets purchased.

1987

38 and 56 Young Street purchased.

1988

4 and 4A Meta Street purchased.

1988

Dining Room refurbished.

1989

Drummond Field opened.

1989

Extension Centre for gifted and talented opened.
10 College Street purchased (occupied by Junior School administration in 1992)

1989

Deputy Principal’s office space built, but used as a classroom until 1994.

1991

The main entrance to College moved from Meta Street to Boundary Street, and driveway resurfaced.

1991

The physical joining of the Junior and Senior Schools completed.

1992

Meta Street gates and pillars relocated from the site of the Macindoe Library to outside the Uniform Store.

1992

The Macindoe Library officially opened by Miss Eunice Macindoe, Principal of the College 1946-1956.

1992

Evandale School purchased.

1992

Upgrade of 4 and 4A Meta Street completed (including the flats).

1992

New telephone system installed.

1992-1993

The area above the old gymnasium converted into classrooms.

1993

Infants' classes commenced in Evandale.

1993

Canteen opened in Thompson Hall complex, funded by the P & F.

1993

Storeroom added to Thompson Hall.

1993

130 Edwin Street purchased.

1993

Bursar's Office refurbished.

1993

Year 12 Boarders' Common Room refurbished.

1994

The Second Master Plan for the development of the College inaugurated.

1994

Evandale classrooms converted from six to eight rooms.

1994

120 Edwin Street (one home unit) purchased.

1994

4 College Street purchased and the building demolished to create an open space.

1994

Boarding House electrical wiring upgraded.

1995

Studio Theatre opened as a small drama space (refurbishment of Old Science Lecture Theatre).

1995

Senior staffroom space expanded.

1995

Courtyard Room opened.

1995

Major maintenance on the swimming pool undertaken.

1995

Boarding House tower illuminated.

1995

The remaining section of Meta Street purchased from Burwood Council.

1995-1996

A new tennis court constructed and the existing courts resurfaced.

1995-1996

Second storeroom added to Thompson Hall.

1996

A recreation room established in the Boarding House.

1996

15-21 Hennessy Street shops purchased to use as three classrooms (opened in 1997).

1996

Shade covering erected over shallow end of swimming pool.

1996

Junior School refurbishment, including Hamilton Hall, completed.

1997

Major re-development of three classrooms, Science blocks, amphitheatre, Yr 12 facilities, Yr 3 Hennessy St. classrooms completed. As part of this, the 1938 gymnasium was reconfigured and an additional floor level added to make a three-level classroom block.

1997

The former Croydon Hotel, a heritage building, purchased for re-development as a Creative Arts and Design Centre (The Croydon).

1997

Gibb Street property was purchased for future development.

1997

6 College Street purchased for development of the Extension Centre.

2000

Adelaide Perry Art Gallery in The Croydon officially opened.

2001

McQueen Seminar Room opened.

2001

Former Art, Design and Technology areas redeveloped for Technical Services and for general classrooms.

2001

6 College Street converted to house the Extension Centre, executive accommodation and to create additional staff parking.

2001

Heritage classrooms (room nos. 7 and 8) restored.

2002

Main staffroom, with provision for administration and support services, redeveloped.

2002

Boarding House C corridor (senior wing) and Junior School administration area refurbished.

2002

Deputy Principal's office area converted to create three offices for Year Directors.

2002

The Belltower, 34 - 36 Young Street, purchased.

2003

Arlington, built in 1863 and immediately extended to create a two- storey Victorian House, purchased as the principal's new residence.

2004

November: work commenced on Aquatic Centre and Performing Arts Centre.

2006

3 April: J.D. Oates Aquatic Institute and Performing Arts Centre (with Audrey Keown Theatre) officially opened by the Governor of NSW.

2008

June-July: Stage in College Hall removed.

2009

Late in the year: re-development began of Macindoe Library, to be known as Macindoe Research Centre.

2010

1 December: In his address for Speech Day, Rev. Peter Hastie, Chairman of College Council, announced that the Performing Arts Centre will now be known as the W.T. McKeith Arts Centre, in recognition of Executive Principal Dr W.T. McKeith 1986-2010.

2010

3 December: Macindoe Research Centre officially opened.

2013

Re-tractable seating installed in Thompson Hall.

2013- 2014

Renovation of Marden Library for use as a museum and conference room. Built-in bookcases removed December 2013. Conference table and chairs purchased and moved in January 2014. Kitchenette installed February 2014.

2018

The Gateway building officially opened (Feb 11). It includes facilities for the Junior School Hamilton (student in Years 3 - 6): 14 classrooms, 4 large breakout spaces, numerous smaller support rooms, specialist STEM rooms, amphitheatre, turtle pond, bee hotel, vegetable gardens, Arthropod house, and play equipment. It also houses key administrative functions: Reception, Junior School Hamilton Office, Enrolments, Bursar, Communications, Archives and the Technical Services and Infrastructure teams.